As one of the country’s largest cities (#4, in fact!), Houston is abuzz with eclectic dining, a ton of history, and exciting adventures. But it’s also great to get away from big city life, which is why Pearland RV is the perfect mix of small town friendliness with the cultural draw of a large metropolitan area just minutes away.
There’s plenty to see and do all around the area, including the natural wonder of Sam Houston National Forest. Read on for some fun facts and amazing things to do while in the Houston area.
Fun Facts About Houston, Texas
- Common names for Houston are “Space City,” “They Bayou City,” and “The 713.”
- Foodies can easily be overwhelmed by the sheer number of options in Houston. With more than 10,000 restaurants in the city and surrounding area, it’s no wonder this town has been recognized as the city whose residents eat out the most.
- Don’t forget! The Houston Johnson Space Center is here, where you can find our nation’s astronauts training for NASA.
- “Houston” was the first word spoken when man landed on the moon.
- Texas’ largest city is one of the most diverse in the world, where more than 145 languages are spoken by Houstonians.
- The Texas Medical Center is the largest health care center on the planet and sees more than 7.2 million patients each year!
- Golfers unite! The area has 198 golf courses within a 50-mile radius.
- Houston’s motto is “The city with no limits.” It’s easy to see why, because it spans a huge area!
Best Attractions to Visit in Houston
Houston Space Center. Whether or not you’re interested in space exploration, visitors will be fascinated with the place where the science behind this new frontier originated. This is NASA‘s Johnson Space Center’s official visitor center, where you can watch shuttle launches, explore displays that pay tribute to human spaceflight, and see historical artifacts.
The Museum District. Museum lovers will appreciate that most of the city’s museums are packed into one neighborhood – 19 of them to be exact. Among them are the Contemporary Arts Museum Houston, Houston Children’s Museum (voted top children’s museum in the U.S.), and the Houston Museum of Natural Science.
Buffalo Bayou Park. The slow-moving waters of Buffalo Bayou flow through the heart of Houston and offer 160 acres of green space. With lots of recreational activities, the whole family can enjoy views of the Houston skyline, along with a fountain and skate park.
Check Out a Sporting Event. Sports fans have many options when visiting Houston. From the NFL’s Houston Texans to Major Baseball League’s Houston Astros, you have your pick of football, baseball, basketball, and soccer games during your stay.
Houston’s Amazing Culinary Scene. With too many great restaurants to name, eating your way through Houston is no small feat. This is why many people come to Houston just for the food alone! Your mouth will water every step of the way with an endless array of culinary delights, from southern-inspired, Tex-Mex, All-American, Asian fusion, and countless other ethnic cuisine, all within driving distance.
Sam Houston National Forest. Take a day trip and venture into the gorgeous natural wonders of this forest. If you love the outdoors, you will not want to miss Sam Houston National Forest’s recreational opportunities such as hiking, swimming, and picnicking.